How is Hyperlexia Diagnosed?
- How is Hyperlexia Diagnosed?
- How is Hyperlexia Treated?
- Occupational Therapy for Hyperlexia
- Speech and Language Therapy for Hyperlexia
- Why Us?
Hyperlexia is diagnosed by a team of medical professionals and will usually be made in early childhood. The main diagnosis of Hyperlexia will be given by a paediatrician.
When making a diagnosis of Hyperlexia the following will be carried out:
- A detailed assessment in areas of their development including speech, language, physical and psychological assessments.
- A detailed case history of the child's development.
- A detailed medical history.
Assessment will be carried out by a team of medical and health professionals which help to rule out any other disorders and make a diagnosis of Hyperlexia. For a diagnosis of Hyperlexia a child will present with the following characteristics.
- An advanced ability to read words which is above what is expected for their chronological age.
- A difficulty in understanding language.
- A rote way of learning expressive language and use of echolalia (repeating learned chunks).
- Behavioural difficulties.
If you would like to arrange an assessment, or would like any more information on our services please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 0330 088 6693.